Oscar-winner Gene Deitch (born August 8, 1924), who introduced the world to the power of animation, has died at the age of 95 in Prague, Czech Republic. Deitch was an animator, producer and excellent film director.
Gene got the most recognition due to the famous cartoon characters Tom and Jerry. Also, his film Munro won the Academy Award in 1960 for Best Animated Short Film. Deitch was nominated for this award for the second time in 1964 as well.
According to sources, Gene Deitch died on Thursday-Friday night in his apartment in Prague. He died suddenly and no further information has been received about this but it is known that he was suffering from some disease of the intestine.
Childhood, Parents, Siblings & Education
Everybody who has watched Gene’s creations loves him and now people want to know more about him and his early life. In 1924 (age 95 years; as in 2019), Gene Deitch was born in Chicago, Illinois, the U.S. He grew up in a financially stable family.
His father Joseph Deitch and mother Ruth Delson Deitch was a homemaker. We have no data about his siblings and as far as we came to know he was the only kid of his parents.
His schooling happened in Los Angeles. He attended Los Angeles High School and his high school graduation completed in the year 1942. From childhood, he had the habit of making creative illustrations and which in the future became his profession.
Wedding, spouse & children
During his job at North American Aviation, he met a lady named Marie which further turned into a relationship when they married each other in the year 1943. The couple even has 3 kids named Seth Deitch, Kim Deitch and Simon Deitch.
When in 1959 he went to Prague, Czech Republic there he met Zdenka Najmanová who used to work as a production manager.
She became the reason why Gene Deitch made his mind to live in the Czech Republic permanently when their marriage took place in 1964. They spent 55 years of their happy married life living in Prague and this is where he spent his final time also.
Physical Stats, Height, Weight & Appearance
In his youth years, Gene Deitch used to be a charming man and used to wear glasses. On most of the occasions, he used to wear a business suit at his office. When he was 19 years old, just after completing his pilot training he caught pneumonia and this became the reason why he left his aviation job.
Before death, he was a 95 years old active man who was still filled with creativity. He was half bald and his hairs were all white. Gene also had a handsome height of 5 ft 11 in (180.4 cm).
|Real Full Birth Name||Eugene Merril Deitch.|
|Age (As of 2019)||95 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||August 8, 1924.|
|Death||April 16, 2020.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Birth Sign)||Leo.|
|House Location||Prague, Czech Republic.
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5'11".
Meters: 1.8 m.
Centimeters: 180.4 cm.
|Weight||Pounds: 143.3 lbs.
Kilograms: 65 Kg.
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Parents||Father: Joseph Deitch.
Mother: Ruth Delson Deitch.
|Wife||1. Marie Deitch (m. 1943–1960).
2. Zdenka Najmanová (m. 1964–2020).
|Kids||1. Seth Deitch.
2. Kim Deitch.
3. Simon Deitch.
|Favourite actor||Kirk Douglas.|
|Travel Destination||Germany. .|
|Highest Qualification||High school graduate.|
|School||Los Angeles High School.|
|Profession||Illustrator, animator & director.|
|Famous creations||1. Tom & Jerry.
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's.
4. Clint Clobber.
|Famous books||1. For the Love of Prague.
2. The cat on a Hot Thin Groove.
3. A visit From a Turtle.
4. Deitch's Pictorama.
|Net worth (As in 2020)||$2-3 million.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Gene Deitch
- As soon as he completed his schooling Gene Deitch started his career in North American Aviation.
- He started his pilot training in 1943 and even completed the program but retired honorably in next year (1944).
- Along with this job he also used to work for a magazine named “The Record Changer”.
- In 1955 he started his apprenticeship with UPA and later became the creative director of “Terrytoons”. Working with UPA he created “The Real-Great Adventures of Terr’ble Thompson!”
- He wanted to create “Munro” which was a short animated movie, for which he had to shift to Prague.
- It was the plan that he will stay there only for 10 days but later circumstances changed and he made his mind to live there permanently.
- In 1961 he released “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and it became the best-animated movie of 1961 and even received the award for that.
- From 1960-1963 he created famous “Tom & Jerry” and also directed “Popeye”.
- In one of his interviews, he said that some of the viewers wrote him letters and described “Tom & Jerry” as their favorites.
- He ruled the cartoon industry and the character like Tom and Jerry proved to be history’s most loved characters.
- It has been more than 50 years since these cartoons first got created but they are still favorites of the people.
- There are no proper records regarding the possessions and assets of Gene Deitch but according to our estimate, his net worth has to be somewhere around $2-3 million.
- He accepted that Stb (Státní bezpečnost) taped his phone but they never called him for any sort of investigation and interrogation.
- After creating “Tom & Jerry” some people explained it as Gene’s worst creation.
- In 2003 he received a lifetime achievement award from “ASIFA-Hollywood”.
- His kids are involved in the same profession as their father was.
- Many people do not know but in some early episodes, Tom was shown walking on his four legs which later got changed.
- MGM was not ready to air Tom & Jerry as they thought that there are very less-chances for cartoons like to succeed.
- The remastered version of “Tom and Jerry – The Gene Deitch Collection” released in 2015 whereas the original one was released in the 1960s.
- In the year 2012 one of his lost movies got released on YouTube.