Charles Joseph Walker (born in 1851 – died July 29, 1926) was an American Newspaper Advertising Salesman from Tennessee. He is well-identified as a third spouse of Madam C. J. Walker (American entrepreneur, philanthropist, and political & social activist).
She is famous for being the first female self-made millionaire in America. This honor was given to her by the Guinness Book of World Records. Furthermore, Madam C. J. earned her wealth from her cosmetic business.
She is the founder of “Madam C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company” which produces makeup and hair care products for black women. The firm came to existence back in 1910 in Indianapolis, Indiana, United States.
Madam further got involved in many charities and social activities. Moreover, she dubbed as patron of the arts after making financial donations to numerous organizations. On May 25, 1919, Madam C. J. Walker died at the age of 51 due to kidney failure and complications of hypertension.
Married Life, Spouse & Kids
In January 1906, Charles Joseph Walker tied the knot with his wife “Sarah Breedlove” (real full birth name of Madam). Their wedding ceremony was a private affair that took place in the presence of close friends & family.
As per the source, the couple first met each other in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. This was Sarah’s third marriage and she adopted Walker from her spouse. However, Charles and Breedlove got officially separated and took divorce in 1912.
Earlier, in 1882, Madam C. J. Walker married her first partner “Moses McWilliams” at the age of 14. The former pair also welcomed a child i.e. a daughter named A’Lelia McWilliams (businesswoman) who later changed her surname to A’Lelia Walker after her step-father.
The entrepreneur’s second marriage was with “John Davis” whom she wedded after the death of Moses. Madam and John remained together from 1894 to 1903. Sarah’s first spouse died in 1887.
|Quick Info & Wiki|
|Full Real Name||Charles Joseph Walker.|
|Profession||Newspaper Advertising Salesman.|
|Famously Known as||being the husband of Madam C. J. Walker (American entrepreneur, philanthropist, and political & social activist).|
|In the news for||On March 20, 2020, a Netflix miniseries called "Self Made: Inspired by the life of Madam C. J. Walker" was released based on him and his wife.|
|Age (as of 1926)||75 years old.|
|Date of Death||July 29, 1926.|
|Burial||Saint Peter's Cemetery Normandy, St. Louis County, Missouri, USA|
|Place of Birth||Tennessee, The United States of America.|
|Gay or Lesbian||No.|
|Girlfriend||Name not available.|
|Children||Step-daughter: A'Lelia McWilliams.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$1 million US dollars.|
|Source of Income||Madam C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company.|
|School||Local High School.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||Feet & Inches: 5' 10".
Centimeters: 178 cm.
Meters: 1.78 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 85 Kg.
Pounds: 184 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Chest-waist-hips)||46-34-41.|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown.|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Shoe Size (US)||12.|
|Dream Holiday Destination||London.|
|Favorite Thing to Eat||Italian Cuisine.|
Some Hidden Facts about Charles Joseph Walker
- Madam C. J. Walker’s Husband took birth to his father and mother in 1851 in Tennessee, the United States of America. However, there are no much details about his actual birthdate and birthplace on the internet.
- Charles Joseph Walker aged 75 years old, as of 1926.
- On July 29, 1926, he passed away due to natural causes.
- Furthermore, Charles was also involved in Madam’s business.
- He used to provide advice on advertising and promotion.
- Moreover, Joseph Walker and Sarah also expanded their business while traveling throughout the southern and eastern United States.
- In 1908, the couple relocated to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They even opened a beauty parlor.
- Walker also launched a Lelia College in order to train hair culturists.
- After Sarah’s demise, her daughter became the president of the Madam C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company.
- On March 20, 2020, a Netflix miniseries called “Self Made: Inspired by the life of Madam C. J. Walker” was released.
- In fact, it is based on the biography of Walker called “On Her Own Ground” by A’Lelia Bundles. She is Madam’s great-great-granddaughter.
- The talented actress “Octavia Spencer” performed the main role of Madam C. J. Walker.
- On the other hand, Charles’ character was acted by Blair Underwood (actor and director).
- The series was directed by Kasi Lemmons and DeMane Davis.
- Some of the other main casts of the “Self Made: Inspired by the life of Madam C. J. Walker” are Tiffany Haddish as A’Lelia Walker, Kevin Carroll as Ransom, Garrett Morris as Cleophus, Carmen Ejogo as Addie, etc.